Monday, November 5, 2007

Interactive Distance Broadcast Environments

In Chapter 25 of Lee & Owens, distance learning is defined as any training that is delivered from one central location to multiple remote sites simultaneously. This can include anything from satellite to telephone lines being utilized to distribute learning. The book also states that use of distance learning is under utilized and the potential has not been met. I agree wholly. As a student at the University of South Carolina, I have taken a distance education course with Dr. Daniel Norris, in which 7 other campus classrooms were being broadcast. Joining this group of people for one night a week through distance learning allowed what seemed like a class of 20 to actually be a class of 50, and it crossed all geographical boundaries. I have to say that I definitely enjoy live broadcasts as opposed to recorded lectures that are put online. I've found that just listening to a person's voice without them being there is difficult for me. One issue I have is that in live broadcasts, people tend to be hesitant to participate when they are aware of so many people listening. Also, when my instructor was in one classroom across the state and I was viewing and listening in another location, I tended to pay less attention than I normally would, maybe because I thought I wouldn't get caught! IDB is quite literally under utilized and the process of broadcasting learning has some time before it reaches it's full potential. Cost may be a factor as to why more companies aren't using it, but all technology eventually comes down in price, which is why I foresee more and more distance education being used.

No comments: